History of the Peloponnesian War

Thucydides

Thucydides. The Peloponnesian War. London, J. M. Dent; New York, E. P. Dutton. 1910.

Meanwhile the Corinthians completed their preparations, and sailed for Corcyra with a hundred and fifty ships.

Of these Elis furnished ten, Megara twelve, Leucas ten, Ambracia twenty-seven, Anactorium one, and Corinth herself ninety.

Each of these contingents had its own admiral,

the Corinthian being under the command of Xenoclides, son of Euthycles, with four colleagues.

Sailing from Leucas, they made land at the part of the continent opposite Corcyra.

They anchored in the harbor of Chimerium, in the territory of Thesprotis, above which, at some distance from the sea, lies the city of Ephyre, in the Elean district.

By this city the Acherusian lake pours its waters into the sea.

It gets its name from the river Acheron, which flows through Thesprotis, and falls into the lake.

There also the river Thyamis flows, forming the boundary between Thesprotis and Kestrine; and between these rivers rises the point of Chimerium.

In this part of the continent the Corinthians now came to anchor, and formed an encampment.